Saturday, March 05, 2005

Tan Swie Hian

Quoted from Tan Swie Hian, Singapore Art Museum

A book of fiction may be translated into a theatre performance, a song sung into a sculpture and calligraphy work done with every stroke as a dance step.

To me, the humming bird is a fine symbol for the free mind. It flies up, down, sideways, forwards and backgrounds. It helicopters and suspends it self in mid-air to perform aerobatic feats with a pioneer or a lead.

The visual world inspires me to create sounds, smells or texture may also inspire me whether I am given oil paint, Chinese ink, acrylic paint, clay or pencil. I create, from the smells poetry anthology to the longest literary compilation; I create, from a little ant to mighty mountain. I create, regardless of time and space. I am neither daunted nor restrained by the size or complexity of the undertaking.

No comments: